By: Teresa Mull
As America watches ballots for Biden mysteriously appear, and President Trump launches several lawsuits alleging voter fraud, let’s remember the gun control “President-elect Biden” threatened he would enact in his 11-page gun control plan, should he become president, and analyze whether these actions are likely and/or possible.
"If you thought President Obama was bad for the Second Amendment, buckle up because it's about to get a whole lot worse," Ryan Flugaur, Vice-President of the National Association for Gun Rights, told GPM. "When Joe Biden takes office, he'll be armed with the architect of California's deep-state gun control as his VP, and they're ready to use any means at their disposal, including executive action. Republicans in Congress should be mindful that 70 Million voters thoroughly rejected gun control candidates down ballot. They'd be foolish to abandon pro-gun Americans by rolling over to Biden and Harris' gun control.
"If their majority in the Senate holds, or even if its close, Mitch McConnell must exercise his mandate to block all gun control coming from the House and resist calls for a from his moderate members to cut a 'deal' with Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden," Flugaur added.
Let’s go over the assaults on the Second Amendment Biden vowed during his campaign that he would impose (from the archives):
- “[P]ursue legislation to regulate possession of existing assault weapons under the National Firearms Act.” Those who now own “assault weapons” – whatever that means, either under newly passed legislation or executive fiat – will have to either sell them back to the government or register them with the ATF under the National Firearms Act.
- An executive order to ban the importation of so-called “assault weapons” into the United States.
- His campaign website boasts that he will accomplish this “while working to pass this legislation… using his executive authority.”
- A $200 tax on every AR-15 Americans have already purchased
- Families of shooting victims will be able to file civil suits against gun manufacturers to obtain damages related to the misuse of their products in crimes
- Prevent Americans from owning firearms on the basis of “mental health” reasons – could mean anything from depression to anxiety.
- “…[E]nact legislation to prohibit all online sales of firearms, ammunition, kits, and gun parts.”
- “…[D]irect the FBI and ATF to outline a model relinquishment process, enact any necessary legislation to ensure relinquishment when individuals newly fall under one of the federal prohibitions, and then provide technical and financial assistance to state and local governments to establish effective relinquishment processes on their own."
- “…[C]reate a “Task Force on Online Harassment and Abuse” to identify the “connection between mass shootings, online harassment, extremism, and violence against women.”
- Move to require all gun manufacturers to eventually manufacture only so-called “smart guns.”
…This is just a smattering of the gun control Biden plans to force upon law-abiding American citizens. And we haven’t even mentioned Kamala Harris, Biden’s “vice-president elect,” who said when she herself was running to be commander-in-chief:
“I will give the United States Congress 100 days to get their act together and have the courage to pass reasonable gun safety laws. And if they fail to do it, then I will take executive action. And specifically what I will do is put in place a requirement that for anyone who sells more than five guns a year, they are required to do background checks when they sell those guns. I will require that for any gun dealer that breaks the law the ATF take their license.”
Harris also said she would work to get 10 million guns “off the streets.”
It’s certainly an ambitious list, but not one without potential. In its list of “key policies” a Biden administration could change “Day One” in the White House, Reuters reports Biden could use his powers “to ban the importation of assault weapons” within his first hundred days in office.
Teresa Mull (firstname.lastname@example.org) is editor of Gunpowder Magazine.